Grade Changes & Retaking Classes

What you can do if you're not happy with a grade

If you feel you’ve been graded unfairly or that you could do better in a class, you have options for trying to raise your GPA.

Retake the class

If you receive a grade lower than an A in a class, you may be able to retake the class to remove that grade from your GPA. (Note that both grades will remain on your transcript; however, the lower will have an X next to it and will not be included in your GPA.) Talk to your advisor or visit the registrar services office. If you’re eligible, they’ll advise you to fill out a grade replacement form. You’ll also need to keep the following in mind:

  • You can apply for a grade replacement for no more than 15 credits hours.
  • You can replace a grade for a given course no more than twice.
  • You must complete, sign, and submit the replacement form before you graduate.

Learn how repeating a course could affect your financial aid


Appeal your grade

In most cases, you should appeal a grade with the instructor who gave you the grade. If you can’t resolve the matter with your instructor, talk with your division head. Check your division's academic bulletin for information about the appeal process.

If you need a grade changed months or longer after the end of a semester for reasons other than instructor error, you may submit a Change of Grade Petition.