Residency or Citizenship

Make sure your residency and citizenship are correct

Your residency classification and citizenship can affect your tuition and your eligibility for financial aid. Be sure your information is up to date.

Residency classification

When you’re admitted to IU Columbus, you’re classified as a resident or a nonresident based on information you provided when you applied. Your residency classification affects your tuition rates. You can update or appeal your residency classification.

Here are a few things to know about residency classification:

  • You must live in Indiana for 12 consecutive months without education being your main purpose for residing in the state before you can be eligible for resident student status.
  • Your circumstances on the first day of classes of each term determine your eligibility for resident student status for that term.
  • Even if you’re considered a legal resident of the state (e.g., hold an Indiana driver’s license, are registered to vote, and can be called to serve on a jury), you may not qualify for resident student status.
  • If you marry an Indiana resident and can provide convincing evidence that education is no longer your main purpose for being in Indiana, you may be eligible to be reclassified as a resident 12 months after the date of your marriage.
  • Once you’re classified as a resident student, you’ll remain a resident student as long as you are enrolled in each fall and spring semester until you earn your degree.
  • Alumni status of your parents isn’t a factor in determining your residency classification.

Learn how IU determines your residency


You’ll need to verify your citizenship to be eligible for in-state tuition rates as well as scholarships, grants, assistantships, or other aid funded through IU Columbus. Log into One.IU and go to Citizenship Verification.

If you’re unable to verify that you’re lawfully residing in the United States, your residency status will be changed to nonresident, and your university financial aid will be removed.

Your residency and aid will be unaffected if:

  • You’re a U.S. citizen
  • You’re a permanent resident, asylee, or refugee
  • You live outside the United States and will complete your program while residing abroad
  • You’re a foreign national with a valid U.S. visa or immigration status

Why do we require this information?

Indiana law (IC 21-14-11) prohibits us from offering resident tuition rates or university-funded aid to anyone who isn’t in the United States legally.

Verify your citizenship