Make the Transition From Military to College

If you have served your country—or if you are a current active-duty member of the U.S. armed forces—talk to us about earning an Indiana University degree. Our welcoming Columbus campus is a short drive from, Indianapolis, Camp Atterbury, and Muscatatuck Urban Training Center.

With online, hybrid, off-site, evening, and day classes offered year-round, earning a degree at IU Columbus is flexible and convenient. In addition, you’ll enjoy small class sizes and one-on-one attention from faculty and staff who care about helping you succeed.

Many veterans, current members of the military, and spouses and children of disabled or deceased veterans may qualify for federal educational benefits from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). Take advantage of the Post 9/11 GI Billand other VA educational benefits to which you are entitled!

Review our list of degree programs and determine if one of them is a good fit for your career goals.

Let's Get Started

Following the steps below will ensure you get the maximum amount of aid for funding your education.

Use our Find My Applicant Tool to determine how you should apply. When you are ready to apply you will use our online application.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, is a form that determines your eligibility for low- or no-interest student loans as well as grants at the federal and state level. Completing this form will ensure you receive the maximum financial aid, even if you plan on using veterans education benefits. The most potential aid is given to students who complete the form before March 1. Visit the FAFSA Web site to fill out and submit the application.

Your military training may equate to academic credit at IUPUC. If you are using VA Education Benefits you are required to provide copies of your military transcripts and your DD214 discharge documents to the Office of Recruitment and Admissions. All documents can be emailed to or mailed to:

ATTN: Office of Recruitment and Admissions
IU Columbus
4601 Central Avenue
Columbus, IN 47203-1769

Use the following resources to request your military transcript:

Visit the official GI Bill® website to go through a step-by-step process to get an idea of what benefits are best for you, or contact us and we can guide you through the process. Please complete one of the following forms:

  • VA Form 22-1990: Initial Application for Education Benefits for military members or veterans (MGIB-CH30, Post 9/11-CH33, MGIBSR-CH1606, REAP-CH1607)
  • VA Form 22-1995: Change in Program/Place of Training, for those who have used the GI Bill at another institution
  • VA Form 22-1990e: For dependents to whom Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility has been transferred
  • VA Form 22-5490: For children of disabled veterans applying initially for the Dependent Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • VA Form 22-5495: Change of Place of Training, for those who have used Chapter 35 benefits at another institution

If you are the child of an Indiana veteran with any level disability rating, you may be eligible for the Indiana Remission of Fees for the Child of a Disabled Veteran. The state also offers a fee remission for Indiana veterans who have been awarded the Purple Heart. Applications for both of these programs are available through the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs.

After the application form is approved by the Indiana DVA, it should be forwarded to:

Office of Registrar Services
Indiana University Columbus
4601 Central Avenue
Columbus, IN 47203


Please note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available

Connect with the Office for Veterans and Military Personnel located on the IU Indianapolis campus.

In-Person and Virtual services are available. Contact the office by emailing or calling 317-278-9163.